Login form
Sorry, User can NOT register!

Electrical Installation Condition Report

What is the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)?

The Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 introduced new rules on mandatory electrical testing, and became statutory regulation from the 1st of December 2015 for new tenancies and from 1st of December 2016 for existing tenancies.

The new rules require properties to have fixed wiring checks, known as an Electrical Installation Condition Report, at least every 5 years. The EICR must also include a PAT test (Portable Appliance Test) on portable electric appliances that you have included as part of the let. The check is not required on electrical appliances belonging to your tenant.

The purpose of an electrical safety inspection is to; Confirm, so far as reasonably practicable that the electrical installation, fixtures, fittings or appliances are in a satisfactory condition for continued service, and; Identify any work which relates to electrical installations, fixtures, fittings or appliances which needs to be done to ensure that they are in a satisfactory condition for continued service, a reasonable state of repair and in proper working order.

Who can carry out the EICR?

Electricians carrying out this report must be competent and a member of either SELECT or NICEIC. In order for EICRs and PATs to be acceptable under the regulations, they must be documented on specified forms provided in the guidance.

How often should it be carried out?

Although the law states that the checks are carried out at least every 5 years, it is recommended that it be carried out more often- particularly PAT tests that they advise should be annually checked.

The tenant must be given a copy of the inspection when it is done. A new tenant must be given a copy of the most recent inspection before the tenancy begins.


Enforcement of the regulations is the responsibility of the Housing & Property Chamber, First Tier Tribunal. The First-tier Tribunal for Scotland (Housing and Property Chamber) was formed to deal with determinations of rent or repair issues in private sector housing; assistance in exercising a landlord’s right of entry; and relatively informal and flexible proceedings to help resolve issues that arise between homeowners and property factors

You may have a copy of an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) rather than an EICR if:

  • Your property is a new build
  • The property has been fully rewired.

If you have an Electrical Installation Certificate, you can provide this to demonstrate that your property complies with the new guidance, provided that the date of the next inspection indicated on the certificate has not elapsed.

Click here for more information on EICRs